Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Im gonna Sock Ya in the Mouth!



Ok not really, I'm a pacifist and very passive aggressive ( So I'm told) But I recently learned how amazingly EASY it is to create a sock monkey. It took me an hour to make 1 sock monkey ( which is good considering I hand Sewed it! )Here is what you will need :)

Socks ( I like the crew length or longer- it gives you more to work with.) ( I got mine in a 2 pack at walmart - the super soft fuzzy chenille socks)
Buttons for eyes
Hot Glue Gun& Glue
Felt
Accessories ( knitted scarf, hat etc)
invisible thread
needle
stuffing/batting

First you need to cut out your pattern ( I used these patterns

http://www.santaspostbag.co.uk/images/sock-monkey-main-pattern.jpg



I got my directions from

I only modified the First Direction :
To make the body of the sock monkey you take the end that is the toes and cut a straight line up the middle until you are 1/2 inch from the heel. The sock must be turned inside out . :)

2. Stuffing - cut up old nylon stockings, cotton batting, kapok, shredded foam rubber or polyester fiber. (do not use yams or other vegitables) <-- haha

CAP:
Cut off toe of the sock, leaving 1/2 inch of brown to roll for a brim. ( they used these old brown/white.red socks I used some chenille holiday socks :)

TAIL:
Cut a one inch strip, taper to end of cuff on length of front of sock. Seam and stuff.

MOUTH:
Cut the heel from the sock, leaving a brown edge around the white. Fasten on lower part of the face, whipping around the bottom; stuff and finish sewing around top. The mouth can be improved by a running stitch of either black or white across the middle.

These are the original instructions from the 1920's, once you obtain a pattern it is prety self explanatory on what you need to do :)

Here is my first attempt at a sock monkey! I made mine from Halloweentown- Nightmare before Christmas style ( and I must say I loved the outcome! I hand knitted the little scarf with my Wonderknitter- It works SO well!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...